Life's Ups and Downs

Sunday, July 29, 2007

My Soldier

I have an "adopted" soldier that is stationed just outside of Baghdad. We've never met and yet, I consider him to be a good friend. I've written at least one letter a week and sent two care packages a month for the past 8 months and he writes when he can. Some of his letters are happy, some are scary, and some of them are filled with the horrors of war that he can't share with his family.

I received a letter from him recently that really touched me and brought tears to my eyes. Normally, I wouldn't share something like this but in the hopes that maybe this will lead someone else to "adopt" a soldier far away from home in need of support, I'm breaking my own rule of privacy. Any confidential information has been deleted and I've edited anything that I felt was too personal and would be disrespectful to share.

"It means a lot to me whenever I receive a letter from you. There have been days when you feel down and you just want to say forget it all. I must admit how supportive you've been has made this war easier. Alot of my co-workers are amazed at how dedicated you are about writing me and wish their Soldier's Angel was you. (smile)

It seems more and more soldiers die each day. A question I know that can't be answered is, "When will it end?" I sat on the flight to *****, took off my gear, and inserted my ear plugs. I looked to my right and I saw 3 boxes covered with a US flag. There were 3 dead soldiers on the flight being transported to the US and it really bothered me to see this because all I can think is how can you tell a mother, wife, child, or friend that your loved one has been killed. Things like that replay in my mind constantly.

Well, take care and God bless, and again, thank you for all you have been to me."

I want to thank Lindsey for telling me all about the Soldier's Angels program and I want to encourage anyone who has time to write some letters and send some love from home to check out this awesome program. http://www.soldiersangels.org/

Have a great week!

15 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

Letters like those always bring tears to my eyes and make what we do so meaningful.

Hopefully we can recruit more and more Angels so they can realize how special our job really is.

7:45 PM  
Blogger little things said...

Soldier's Angels! I 'adopted' 5 soldiers, wrote to every one of them, and didn't hear a word back. I wrote an introductory letter, asked what they wanted/needed and waited expectantly to hear back. It was rather odd that I didn't hear from a single one, and I couldn't figure out what could have happened.
I hoped that something hadn't happened to them, but I never did find out the story.
Your post has given me the thought to try it again.
Thank you so much for posting!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

That's pretty intense. I was never aware of Soldier's Angels. Thanks for bringing that to my attention and I commend you for what you're doing.

War sucks.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

awwwwwwwwww....how beautiful is this!

Keshi.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Becky L said...

My brother-in-law is in the military. He's been activated, though not sent overseas... yet. There is a high possibility that he will be. I feel so bad for his wife; they have two sons, 2-1/2 year old and 1 year old. Their father will be gone for over a year, and when he returns, they won't know who he is.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Lori Stewart Weidert said...

I love hearing about people holding up our soldier babies. I'll add soldiersangels.org to our website soon!

Bless you, bless you, from one soldier's mom! (He's on his way home right now, can hardly wait!)

10:03 AM  
Blogger Kat_womanx2 said...

What a sweet thing you are doing..I remember when my step dad's brother was in Saudi...we would sit for hours unrolling tiolet paper off the rolls and putting it in sandwich bags for the care packages we sent every week...his brother used to say those packages were his "salvation" at times. Amazing how important a little "Hip Ribbon" is in some parts of the world..I'll have to check out the site!!

10:21 AM  
Blogger OneHungMan said...

You're a good person.

2:26 PM  
Blogger TrĂ©e said...

Every little bit helps. Thank you for caring. Thank you for taking action. Thank you for doing something positive for another human being. I tip my hat to you dear Princess.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Mrs. S. said...

You're awesome for doing that.. My cousin has been overseas now for the majority of the war. The last time he was back I was able to talk to him about a lot of things and was aghast at some of the things I learned that I won't get into here.. It really does mean alot to them when they get just the least pat on the back..

11:40 PM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

This is so touching... I'm going to definitely check this out.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Miss Hope said...

I know from personal experience that single sailors/soldiers/airmen appreciate any recognition they get. This Navy Wife thanks you for doing something so important and so needed.

7:31 AM  
Blogger little things said...

Thanks again - I have signed up again, and this time have read the instructions that caution us NOT to expect a reply at all due to the nature of their employment.
Now I feel really bad about my first guys, and hope to do right this second time around.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Philip Girls Fast Pitch Softball said...

What you are doing is very special! Thanks! It's inspiring!

1:23 PM  
Blogger justawriter said...

This is very touching...you are truly a wonderful person. I will check out the Soldiers' Angels link. BTW I really like your blog! Take Care.
Tina

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home