Life's Ups and Downs

Monday, June 20, 2005

What the Heck Does that Mean Anyway?!

So, someone said something really strange to me at work and I'm not really sure how to take it. Background, I used to do a lot of theater ... shows at Six Flags for years and stuff locally. Tons of make-up, false eyelashes, three inch dance shoes, and perfect hair were a daily thing for me. I've slowed down a lot in the past couple of years so to my "real" job, I wear khakis and braid my hair and I don't put a bunch of stuff on my face.

A couple of weeks ago, after selling the nightmare rental house, I decided to treat myself to a couple of cute skirts for work. When you dress a little nicer, you expect comments like, "You look pretty today," or "That's a cute outfit." You don't expect almost every person, and I'm not stretching the truth here, to point out how much you've changed. (People not in my department that I've never spoken to made comments about my appearance.) I got things like, "I didn't know you were so pretty," and "Wow! You actually have legs," and "You don't even look like the same person," and, my personal favorite, "You clean up well. I am so proud of you!"

What the heck does that mean? I am proud of you?!! Huh? I didn't realize that I was making my co-workers eyes bleed when they had to pass me in the hall!

I called one of my best friends and told her that I can't believe she didn't tell me I was scaring small children on a daily basis. Apparently, I am the stuff nightmares are made of. I am the reason that your kids wake up in the middle of the night screaming!

I know that people probably thought they were being nice but, come on!! Am I wrong to be so irritated?

I think in rebellion I am going to sew a couple of tablecloths together and wear homemade mumus (sp) for the rest of the year!

1 Comments:

Blogger PJ said...

Don't you hate it when people say that to you. It happened to my husband not too long ago because his job is uber-casual and we had a funeral to go to that day and he went back to work after the funeral. Every one of his co-workers thought he was interviewing and it really stopped them in their tracks when he said he had to go to a funeral.

It's one thing to compliment someone on looking nice, it's another to pretend as though you look like death the rest of the time. People just need to learn to think before they speak.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home