Life's Ups and Downs

Monday, January 15, 2007

Reunions - Fear or Fun?

My friend, Jamie, recently had a cast reunion from one the shows that we performed in while in our early 20's. It was fun seeing everyone but a little hard. Not only had it been about 12 or 13 years since I'd laid eyes on most of these people, but I also had to deal with the random gray hair that had popped up, the "smile lines" around my eyes, and the fact that I was no longer a size 4.

Add to that, I just booked my ticket to South Dakota for the centennial of the town that I grew up in. I moved away the summer before my sophmore year of high school. There is also an all school reunion that I will be attending. On one hand, I am so excited about seeing some of my old friends and teachers again but on the other, I am incredibly nervous as well. What in the world will we talk about? Our lives are so completely different.

In planning this trip, I've come to the realization that I, while so excited, am also reverting back to my younger insecure self, asking questions like, "Will they like me? Will they think I'm pretty? Will I fit in?"

I'm not typically a person that cares overly much about what other people think. I grew out of that a long time ago. I take pride in the fact that I'm a little bit weird, or off center, as I like to say. I like that I'm not a girl who wears much make up or dresses to impress. I like that I laugh a little too loud and that I tell great dirty jokes. It doesn't bother me that some people don't "get" me. With that being said, why am I so nervous and fearful of what people that really have no impact on my life are going to think about me?

Is there a part of a woman's brain that is hard wired to insecurity at the mention of their pasts?

9 Comments:

Blogger Tai said...

It'll be fine!
Just remember, everyone else is freaked out, as well.

(Trust me, I survived my 10 year high school reunion, you can too!)

Come to think of it...my 20 year high school reunion is coming up in 3 years. That's plenty enough time lose 20 lbs and purchased the villa in Tuscany, right?

4:33 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

**Is there a part of a woman's brain that is hard wired to insecurity at the mention of their pasts?


definitely!


well go for it...u'll enjoy it for sure. We need such re-unions to take us down the memory lane of our older (I mean younger) selves. :)

Keshi.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Mrs. D. said...

I have been trying to process our reunion for the past two weeks... It is strange how much I have been thinking about all the people who were here...

Going out of town this weekend... but let's talk soon!
~Jamie

7:29 PM  
Blogger cantellya said...

I truly believe that it's a "girl thing." I'm beginning to wonder if we ARE wired that way.
Have faith, I'm sure you'll be great :)

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Sherry said...

Are you my brain twin? Everything except for the makeup part I agree with you. (I happen to be addicted to makeup. Although I don't wear it every day and I am perfectly comfortable running errands without it...) Yep. I had the same problem for my 10 year hs reunion. I finally decided to go and those people who I was most "scared" of, didn't even show. Suddenly I realized that they were the small people, those who don't go, because they are still holding onto that small piece of time when everyone is messed up on horomones. It's those people who willingly come, ready to meet the people they went to school with for the first time... yeah, those are the people you want to get to know. And that's my 2 cents. BTW: Where in SD are you headed?

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Miss Hope said...

Past, present, future. It doesn't matter. We girls tend to spazz easily. At least we know it. LOL

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home