Life's Ups and Downs

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Music Appreciation

I am so excited!! I have always loved music and have been singing since I was very young. I think my first big solo performance was in the fifth grade when I sang with the high school choir in my very small town. There were some really upset high schoolers because a youngster had stolen their thunder.

I taught myself to play guitar a few years back so that I could write my own music, which I love doing. (It's a great stress reliever if you have things on your mind that you don't really want to speak to anyone about but need to release some pent up feelings or emotions.) Right now, I have a partially finished cd that I recorded on a friend's recording equipment and I've been writing some more songs to fill it up. This is strictly for me, my friends, and family. I have no delusions that I will become a rock star. It's simply something that I do for my own pleasure.

Anyway, since I began playing the guitar, I have always wanted to learn the mandolin. I think it is such a cool instrument, truly a thing of art. I've never bought myself one because I couldn't justify spending the money on one when I already have this great guitar and flute (this one time at band camp ... lol!) and so many things going on that I don't know how much time I could give to learning a new instrument.

Well, today my boy came home with a beautiful mandolin for me!!! Some guy that he works with bought a bunch of instruments when a music store was going out of business and he is selling them for just above what he paid to make a bit of extra cash. Kind of weird but it works in my favor because I now have this gorgeous mandolin that I've wanted for years at a fraction of the cost! I immediately ran out and got a book on how to play and I sat for a bit tonight and played around with it. Awesome!! Love it!! Love my boy for thinking of me and remembering something that I only stated in passing once!! What a great day!

5 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

Awwwww. What a sweet boyfriend!! I wish I could play an instrument...always wanted to learn guitar but am afraid I'd never get it, I'm all thumbs. :0)

Have fun playing and Zombie's right, you'll eventually have to post some MP3's.

5:19 AM  
Blogger Becky L said...

thats so wonderful!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

He's definitely a keeper Angela! :)

2:18 PM  
Blogger Crazy Me said...

I think I must be the hit person for somebody's blog challenge of leaving a strange message. Either that or I am really stupid because I have no idea what thought & humor is talking about!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Miss Hope said...

Hidden talents, huh? I play piano by ear and for my ears alone! lol. We get enough people, we might can start one heck of a garage band. Whaddya say?

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home