Life's Ups and Downs

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Yeehaw!!

You know that I went out of town last weekend but you don't know why. I didn't want to say anything so it wouldn't get jinxed. My boy and I took my youngest brother down to Waco for his interview to receive the Congressional appointment for Annapolis.

HE GOT IT!!!!!!!

This doesn't mean that he's a shoe in but it makes him a really. really, really good contender. The kid has already passed his physical and taken his SATs. He is in the top 3% of the nation in math and the top 5% in English. All he has to do is submit his last semester grades and his application is complete.

We are thrilled beyond belief! My brother is the most amazing kid. He's more like a son to me than a brother because of the difference in ages and the fact that I practically raised him for his first three years, midnight feedings and all. He has wanted to go to this school for years and has already been to 6 recruiting events and a summer session this past summer. One of only 600 kids.

I was so proud of him last weekend. He's seriously book smart but a little on the shy side. When Congressman Edwards came in, my little bro walked right up to him and introduced himself with no help from his big sis. He had a panel interview with an admiral, a general, some city council members, and some other bigwigs. He said that my constant drilling before the interview (HR background) helped him overcome his nerves and the fact that I told him I was so proud of him and that he shouldn't let anyone intimidate him or make him feel small, really relaxed him when he walked in and everyone just sat there staring. That made me feel really good!

I am so proud of this kid. He's got such a bright future ahead and I feel like I'm just ready to burst knowing that he will be going to the kind of school that my family could never hope to afford to send him to. This kid has the whole world wide open in front of him and I just know he's going to take it by storm!!

Happy Sunday!

7 Comments:

Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

That's just fantastic!

What a wonderful Christmas present that is...

I don't have any children myself, but a boy I mentored for several years when I still lived in Arizona is now a freshman at the USAF Academy...

And I'm about as proud as any real father would be!

Merry Christmas!

5:32 AM  
Blogger Sherri Sanders said...

That's absolutely wonderful! He definitely deserves a pat on the back!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Read This said...

Here's something some folks don't know. If, by chance he does not get it, he is automatically eligible for the prep school. Takes a year I think, but it's an automatic admission to the Annapolis when he's done with the prep school. Good luck to him, and glad to see someone so proud of their brother.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Becky L said...

thats just wonderful. so exciting.

and it must be great for you to see this! he's lucky to have a sister like you to help him out!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Mrs. D. said...

Woo Hoo!!!! I remember this kid from when he was a slimy little guy wanting to ride rides at the "park" instead of watching our show!!! He has come a long way!!!! Congrats you must be soooo proud!!!

Shopping was a blast! We need to get out more often!

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see you busting some buttons with pride there, Sis! What a wonderful achievement on his part! Please tell him a big congrats and am sending good wishes his way. I get little proud moments for my own little brother every now and again. It's nice to know I raised him to be a good guy.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Jaime said...

Awww... congrats to your little bro! That's so great - and you are so cute for being so proud - sounds like you've done a great job with him!!

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home